Global Footprint Network is an international think tank established in 2003 to enable a sustainable future where all people have the opportunity to live satisfying lives within the means of one planet. With offices in Geneva (Switzerland), Manila (Philippines), Brussels (Belgium), and Oakland (California, USA), Global Footprint Network is working to drive informed, sustainable policy decisions in a world of climate change and growing resources constraints.
What We Do
Together with its partners, Global Footprint Network coordinates research, develops methodological standards, and provides decision-makers with a menu of tools to help the human economy operate within Earth’s ecological limits. We work with local and national governments, investors, and opinion leaders to ensure all people live well [About HDI], within the means of one planet.
The Ecological Footprint is a data-driven metric that tells us how close we are to the goal of sustainable living. Footprint accounts work like bank statements, documenting whether we are living within our ecological budget, or consuming nature’s resources faster than the planet can renew them.
Our efforts are fueled by a future vision in which human demand on nature is monitored as closely as the stock market. A time when designers are shaping products, buildings, and cities that have one-planet Footprints. A world where all humans prosper and development succeeds because we are finally recognizing ecological constraints and using innovation to advance more than just the economic bottom line.
Making this vision a reality is our work. We provide the scientific data necessary to drive large-scale, social change.
Together with hundreds of individuals, cities, nations, leading businesses, scientists, NGOs, academics and our more than 70 global partners, we are advancing the impact of the Footprint in the world, applying it to practical projects, and sparking a global dialogue about a one-planet future and how we can facilitate change.
These programs help decision-makers recognize the impact of ecological overshoot on their own policies, investments, and projects, and demonstrate that it is both in their interest and within their power to turn the tide. By proving to national governments, finance institutions, and international development agencies that they can be more successful if they operate within nature’s budget, Global Footprint Network aims to foster a more stable and prosperous future.
- Our stewardship of the National Footprint Accounts is bringing new levels of scientific quality and precision to the Ecological Footprint.
- Our Sustainable Human Development initiative is defining what it really means to meet human needs while maintaining natural capital.
- Our programs for cities, businesses and financial institutions are extending the Footprint into new domains, developing new methodologies and tools, and building the market for Ecological Footprinting.
- Our work developing international Footprint Standards is advancing the integrity and comparability of Footprint applications worldwide.
- Our network of 70-plus Partners, located on six continents, is comprised of the world’s leading Footprint practitioners and users, and plays a vital role in guiding our research agenda and making Footprinting relevant and practical.